25 Reasons to Come Back from Vacation
|1. The lights are on.
2. Hugh Jackman in "The Boy From Oz", www.theboyfromoz.com, at the Imperial, starting 9/16.
3. The El Greco show at the Met opens 10/7.
4. Margaret Cho at the Beacon 10/10-11, www.ticketmaster.com or 212.307.7171
5. Aretha comes to Radio City on 9/20, 212.307.7171.
6. The Spring '04 collections debut during Fashion Week, 9/12-19.
7. The 4th New Yorker Festival, 9/19-21, has another enticing lineup of panels that include, among others, Dave Eggers, Mike Nichols, and BjÃ‹â€ rk.
8. The world premiere of composer Stephen Hartke's Symphony No. 3 at the NY Philharmonic, www.newyorkphilharmonic.org.
9. The Soup Man, 259 W. 55th [Bway/8th] 212.757.7730, returns from vacation, no doubt cranky as ever.
10. Christian Delouvrier, formerly of Lespinasse, opens his new restaurant in the Meatpacking district this fall.
11. They Might Be Giants at Joe's Pub on 9/28. More at www.tmbg.com, or call 212.239.6200.
12. Columbus Circle stops being a place to get through, as the AOL/Time Warner (make that the Time Warner) building begins to opens its doors.
13. "Little Shop of Horrors" on Broadway with the delightful Hunter Foster and the equally delightful Douglas Sills, www.littleshopofhorrors.com.
14. Jon Stewart and "The Daily Show".
15. Magnolia Bakery.
16. John Frankenheimer retrospective at the Film Forum for three weeks, starting 9/19.
17. Radiohead at Madison Square Garden, 10/9-10, 212.307.7171
18. For Mac owners, Panther is released.
19. Crobar, the new Chelsea club, opens.
20. Singer/songwriter Jill Sobule at B. B. King's on 9/9, www.ticketmaster.com.
21. Tom Valenti's 2nd restaurant on the UWS opens.
22. As a new law goes into effect, cell phone numbers can go with you when you switch carriers, which should mean better service(s).
23. HBO's new series "Carnivale", www.hbo.com/carnivale, premieres on 9/14.
24. Jonathan Lethem's new book, The Fortress of Solitude is out in September.
25. Central Park in fall.
email this article
MUG is going on vacation, too, until after Labor Day. See you in September.