Greening the New Year
| THE MORNING LINE ‣ 20 Things Everyone Thinks About the Food World (But Nobody Will Say) — even though we disagree with some of it, it's interesting provocation!
‣ Take your Christmas tree to Mulchfest, January 12 and 13 or to curbside locations.
‣ Join the New York Academy of Sciences and The Nature Conservancy for a discussion of Adapting Cities to Climate Change in a Post-Sandy World, Thursday, January 24, 6:30-8pm, $20.
‣ Get some beekeeping chops with a 12-hour class, over four sessions, from the NYC Beekeepers Association. Two sections, one starting February 3, the other March 3. $200
‣ Two ideas incubating: Keep an eye on Brooklyn startup Green Barrel Energy, which has created a solar-powered charging station prototype for mobile devices… And an ingenious idea, funding now on indiegogo: a MeterPlug. Use it between your appliance and an outlet and it will measure consumption, sending the info to your smartphone.
‣ How to Live to 100, a vegan show starring Jason Wrobel, debuts on the Cooking Channel this Sunday, 8pm.
‣ Can we learn something from Copenhagen? Definitely—that city has done an exemplary job of combining green and growth and its Lord Mayor, Frank Jensen, urges you to Green-up Your City!, at an AIA talk on January 9, 6pm, $10.
‣ We've got ourselves 2,023 garbage trucks, 365 salt spreaders, and 450 street sweepers in our fair city and we're starting, slowly, to bring hybrids into the mix for garbage collection and street sweeping.
‣ The City has new zoning regulations, called Zone Green, that
encourage the construction of new green buildings and retrofitting old ones. On the State level, there's this.
‣ More ominous fracking consequences reported. A decision by Governor Cuomo whether to permit fracking in the Marcellus Shale is expected soon.
skint - adj. british slang (1930-35)
lacking funds, broke, bust, stone-broke, impecunious
Around town this weekend, courtesy of the skint: a daily listing of free and cheap things to buy, see, do and eat in New York.
25 free and cheap events
we're looking forward to this month
john turturro at the stranger than fiction documentary film series
urinetown: the musical
the 12th annual no pants subway ride
the 10th annual new york times travel show
'dramatic' reading of pretty in pink: the novel
the best of gilda radner
the meatball takedown
al gore at barnes + noble