|We got our geek on for this one.
Mission: to find the most comfortable conveyance for a laptop and various geektronics. The thing had to protect the laptop, have more than one way to carry it (handle and strap, for instance), didn't scream "laptop inside!" and had at least a smidgen of style. We're forever on the hunt for the perfect city bag — and haven't found it yet. But, for these purposes, the Kensington Saddle Bag Sport was the clear winner in our search.
- Has backpack straps as well as a handle to carry it.
- Of the two dozen or so bags we tested, the Kensington was by far the most comfortable against the back when worn as a backpack — some real ergonomic thinking has gone into this. And the straps are well padded, too.
- Can hold up to a 17-inch notebook. Good protection.
- Reflective material around the zippers. Zippers are well-made and even the zipper pulls have been given some thought.
- Two zip side pockets and a holster that expands open, designed for a water bottle.
- A pocket for your iPod (or other player) at the top of the bag, with a flap-covered hole for your headphones (keeps the player dry and protected).
- Street price: around $50. We got ours at J & R.
- At 13.0"L X 19.0"H X 8.0"W, a bit on the large side for our purposes, though this could be an asset for some people.
- Carrying handle not comfortable for long use. Needs more padding. Or something.
- The band to hold a cellphone on the backpack straps is useless unless you have a very slim phone.
| The Mail on the Towers
A lot of mail in response to our question about rebuilding the towers. Most of you (who wrote in) do not want the towers rebuilt, but neither was there a single endorsement for the current rebuilding plan. Sadly. We've compiled all of your emails here.
Ralph Lauren shoes, 126 E. 56th [Park/Lex] 212.515.4200. Up to 30% off for men and women, on sale now through 4/15, Tu-Th 10-4:30, Fr 10-4.
Pal Zileri, 29 W. 57th [5th/6th] Suite 700 212.751.8585. Wholesale and below on the Italian menswear line, now through 4/14, 9:30-5.
Betsey Johnson, 263 W. 38th [7th] 212.391.6495. Up to 80% off the women's clothes, 4/14 (11-8), 4/15 (11-5), 4/16 (10-5).
ABC Carpet, 20 Jay [Plymouth/John] Bklyn 718.643.7400, has antiques, upholstery, carpeting, furniture, and accessories at up to 75% off. Furniture and linens from $50 to $8,000, rug remnants from $50. Runs 4/14/-4/17, Th and Fr 10-8, Sa 10-7, Su 10-6.