Plus: the skint
|• Worst food deal in NY has to be the grim three-courses at Feinstein's for $99.
• Our Newww.York vintage postcard website vanished in the ether; check out the Seymour B. Durst Old York Library instead.
• Cool second edition of book jackets from Book City Jackets.
• New flash sale site for men called Urbanbloke coming soon.
• Restoring a House in the City by Ingrid Abramovitch just published.
• Our vote for best waiter in New York goes to Jay at WD-50.
• A reader responds to our board games article, 'You didn't mention our latest obsession: Bananagrams, kind of like Scrabble without the board but way way more fun than that sounds.'
• Food writer Corby Kummer's dumb and dumber critics-versus-web whine is laughably self-serving, clueless on almost every point.
• Ten community-based organizations, all part of the Immigrants and Parks Collaborative, are working together to increase immigrant engagement in eight parks in NYC.
• Kartell Lights discounted 15% starting tomorrow at their store, 39 Greene [Broome/Grand] 212.966.6665.
• Nominate MUG for Best Local Blog!
email this article
skint - adj. british slang (1930-35)
lacking funds, broke, bust, stone-broke, impecunious
Around town this weekend, courtesy of the skint: a daily listing of free and cheap things to buy, see, do and eat in New York.
celebrate the fall harvest season w. pumpkin giveaways, hay rides, a haunted house, more @ central park's pumpkin festival, free [sat 12-5pm]
take a candlelight ghost tour while hearing about paranormal events at 'manhattan's most haunted house,' the merchants house museum, $13-25 [sat 6-10pm]
take a trip to jersey city for some olde tyme movie-going fun @ the landmark lowe's theater screenings of 'the wolf man,' and 'rosemary's baby,' $6 ($1 popcorn!) [sat 4, 7:30pm]
socrates sculpture park's 9th annual halloween harvest festival, free [sun 11am-2pm]
pooches parade in costume at tompkins square park [sun 12pm] and brooklyn heights promenade [sun 1pm]