The Guest List
100 Things to Do With Visitors This Summer
|It's that time of year – people showing up in town and asking you what to do. We've given you 100 suggestions so you can make a good short list for your particular visitors. And before they ask about your pull-out sofa, send them this list of Hotels Under $200.
1) Euan Morton at the Metropolitan Room.
2) Weekend browsing at the Brooklyn Flea.
3) The Frick.
4) Keigwin + Company at the Joyce performing Bolero/NYC.
5) A Night at the Museum Sleepovers.
6) Andrew Bird at Radio City this Thursday.
7) The Coney Island Boom a Ring from Ringling Bros.
8) Twelfth Night at the Delacorte.
9) NY Botanical Garden.
10) Top of the Rock.
11) The Norman Conquests.
12) Governors Island.
13) A Sunday afternoon chamber concert at Bargemusic.
14) The High Line.
15) The SummerStage gala with the Pretenders, Cat Power, and Juliette Lewis.
16) Dinner at Minetta Tavern.
17) Avedon Fashion at the ICP.
18) Books of Wonder.
19) The reinstalled Noguchi Museum.
20) A Cyclones game.
21) Journey to the Stars.
22) God of Carnage on Broadway.
23) The Strand.
24) NY Philharmonic in Central Park.
25) Dinner at Momofuku.
26) Harlem Gospel Tour and brunch.
27) Our Town at the Barrow Street Theatre.
28) Walk over Brooklyn Bridge.
29) Century 21.
30) One of the storytelling evenings of The Moth.
31) B & H Photo.
32) Lunch at City Bakery.
33) Watch the Gay Pride march on 6/28.
34) Shop hard-to-find beauty and personal care products at New London pharmacy.
35) There's of course shamefully little to see at Ground Zero, but they may want to go anyway.
36) Frank Lloyd Wright exhibit at the Guggenheim.
37) Aernout Mik throughout MoMA.
38) In spite of all the new pizzerias in town, we'd take 'em to Lombardi's.
39) Let 'em do Times Square on their own. A zoo these days.
40) They Called Me Mayer July at the Jewish Museum.
41) Heche en Dumbo: delicious, authentic, inexpensive Mexican food.
42) Toy soldiers at the Forbes Galleries
43) Just about any photography exhibit at Howard Greenberg Gallery.
44) Hidden People of India at the Rubin.
45) Midsummer Night Swing, 7/7-7/25 at Lincoln Center.
46) Mannahatta at the Museum of the City of NY.
47) The Neue Gallerie.
48) Landmarks of NY at the N-Y Historical Society.
49) A visit to the Ukrainian Museum.
50) Day trip to Dia:Beacon.
51) Claes Oldenburg early sculpture, drawings, and films at the Whitney.
52) Quintessential contemporary NY resto? How about Gramercy Tavern.
53) Caillebotte at the Brooklyn Museum thru 7/5.
54) Chuck Mangione at the Blue Note in July.
55) Let the sunshine in and all that at the irresistible production of Hair.
56) For the grande dame of your family, lunch in Barbetta's garden.
57) Quench the NY summer thirst at Liquiteria.
58) Ice cream from Il Laboratorio del Gelato.
59) Janet McTeer and Harriet Walter in Mary Stuart.
60) The Generational exhibition at the New Museum.
61) Big Bands on the Hudson, 7/12.
62) Harold and Maude screened at Bryant Park, 7/20.
63) Isabel Toledo designs at FIT.
64) Coney Island Mermaid Parade.
65) Stuffed peppadew peppers at Casellula.
66) Carnegie Deli – newbies are gonna want to go. Send them off.
67) On the other hand, this is where they should go: Barney Greengrass.
68) Corton for Paul Liebrandt's cooking.
69) Billy Elliot.
70) Drag fun at Jackie Beat: Without Me You're Nothing.
71) Bowling at Brooklyn's The Gutter.
72) While we don't really think climbing up to the newly reopened Statue of Liberty crown is worth the effort, your guests may dig it.
73) Joe Pernice at the Bowery Ballroom on 8/7.
74) Dinner outside at New Leaf Cafe.
75) A cold one at the Bohemian Hall beer garden.
76) How we roll: soft-serve from the Big Gay Ice Cream Truck.
77) The Most Serene Republic plays Cake Shop on 6/25, Union Hall two nights later.
78) Cocktails at Apotheke.
79) Karaoke at the new k-bar/art gallery Baby Grand.
80) Head up to The Cloisters for its many pleasures.
81) Brave the wait and taste the goods at Almondine before a walk around every-picture-perfect DUMBO.
82) The Morgan Library.
83) Design fans should spend some time at Moss.
84) The Museum of Arts and Design.
85) An afternoon on Sheep Meadow.
86) Free kayaking in the Hudson.
87) Comedy at the Upright Citizens Brigade.
88) Day trip to Blue Hill at Stone Barns.
89) An afternoon at Liberty Science Center.
90) NYC Ballet performs A Midsummer Night's Dream at Lincoln Center.
91) Spend some time on the Connecticut shore.
92) Check out the Off Off Broadway Short Play festival, 7/14-7/19.
93) Stroll along Hudson River Park.
94) Shop for containers, travel items, and other cool things at one of the Muji stores.
95) Shop/art/eat (Meatpacking District/West Chelsea/Chelsea Market).
96) Tour the U.N.
97) Enjoy the excellent selection of wines and beers at Clandestino.
98) Send them off to the midtown department stores and help jump-start our economy.
99) Fun at the Museum of the Moving Image.
100) Let them shop the Union Square market and, ahem, cook dinner.