‣ Arthur Phillips reads from The Song is You (now in paperback) at Word Brooklyn, 4/13, 7:30pm.
‣ The Season of Second Chances is the first novel by Diane Meier, who runs a Manhattan marketing firm, and it's getting terrific reviews (Booklist says it's "great storytelling").
‣ Out in early May, a book version of the Twitter feed sh*tmydadsays in which Justin Halpern chronicles every hilarious (nsfw) utterance of his 74-year-old father. CBS has also ordered a series pilot starring William Shatner.
indie rock… Thursday: The Depreciation Guild play sweet synth shoegaze at le poisson rouge! [Photo: Katelyn Roof] Friday: Twin Sister brings melodic warmness to Bowery Ballroom. Just Announced… 7/13: Wolf Parade 8/21: Crystal Castles 10/7: The Hold Steady
‣ Michel Nischan discusses his new book, Sustainably Delicious: Making the World a Better Place, One Recipe at a Time, at Borders Columbus Circle on Monday, April 12th, 7pm.
‣ At the NY Open Center, Healing with Whole Foods, a one-day workshop taught by Paul Pitchford. Saturday, April 10th, 10-5:30pm, $130.
movies… Last chance to see Mid-August Lunch, an endlessly charming comedy, at Film Forum.
‣ Brooklyn Flea returns this weekend to its Ft. Greene location.
‣ Thru 4/25, price cuts at Molteni & C furnishings and Dada kitchens. 60 Greene [Spring/Broome] 212.673.7106.
‣ Industries stationery, 91 Crosby [Prince/Spring] 212.334.4447, is going out of business and marking down stationery, notebooks, and bags up to 70% off. Doors close 4/13.
photography…Photographs by Elliott Erwitt, Jacques-Henri Lartigue, Diane Arbus, among others, make up the show A Sense of Humor, about the ways in which humor can be used to good effect in photography. It takes place at Sugar, 449 Troutman [Cypress/St. Nicholas] Bklyn 718.417.1180 (limited hours). Art appraiser John Adam Staszyn gives a talk about humorous imagery on April 11th, 2pm, call to reserve. [Photo: Jacques-Henri Lartigue]
environment… We've written before about the potential danger to the city's water supply as a result of fracking for gas in the upstate watershed. Learn more about the issue on April 15th, 6:30pm, at Cooper Union's Great Hall, when serious experts discuss the economic benefits and the environmental hazards.
‣ UES tennis lessons
‣ A hike we love, north of the city in Cold Spring.
‣ Learn how to take care of your bike, thanks to this class from Bike NY and Recycle-a-Bicycle. Next slots available: 4/24 and 4/25. $60
Today on Wish You Were Here: