25 Ways to End the Year
|1) See the work of fashion photographer Roxanne Lowit in a show of her work called Be Fabulous, at Steven Kasher Gallery, now through 1/18. [Photo: Roxanne Lowit, Three Models in a Tub, Naomi Campbell and Christy Turlington, Linda Evangelista, Paris, 1990]
2) Warm up with one of Keens' stash of 200 or so Single Malt Scotches.
3) Stay at home with your own scotch and time travel with The Encyclopedia of Early Earth, Isabel Greenberg's exceptional graphic novel.
4) Tune into WFMU Thursday, December 26, 9pm, for Spazz Xmas Fiasco: Holiday Hangover Edition! "Local rock 'n' roll superstars drop by to give the holidays one final musical kick in the Santa pants!"
5) Can you hum a fugue of which you've heard the music's din afore, and whistle all the airs from that infernal nonsense Pinafore? The Pirates of Penzance is at Symphony Space from 12/27-1/1.
6) The Big Onion gives its 23rd annual Christmas Day Jewish Lower East Side Tours.
7) Hoist a glass of Avec les bons Vœux de la brasserie Dupont.
8) Making resolutions? A new book by cardiologist and Wheat Belly author William Davis is out 12/24: Wheat Belly 30-Minute (Or Less!) Cookbook, with 200 recipes.
9) Catch up on Downton Abbey before the arrival of season four on PBS, 1/5.
10) Hear great blues guitarist Nick Moss at Slake, 251 W. 30th [7th/8th], tomorrow night, 12/20, 7pm.
11) Do some last minute shopping at Meg Cohen's cashmere sample sale (up to 70% off), now thru Saturday, 11-7, 920 Bway [20th/21st]
12) Check out the brand-new Ice Rink at South Street Seaport.
13) Cook some old New York.
14) Last chance to see the lovely musical Fun Home at the Public, extended through 1/12.
15) Asghar Farhadi's The Past, opening 12/20 at Film Forum, is another exceptional work by the Iranian director, following A Separation, for which he won an Academy Award.
16) Watch Darlene Love on her annual visit to David Letterman's show, tomorrow night, 12/20. Catch her live at B.B. King on 1/4.
17) The singer/song-as-short-story-writer Dar Williams plays The Bell House on 12/26.
18) The New Year's Eve Midnight Run.
19) Well, yeah, technically you're starting the new year with this one, but anyway: The Poetry Project hosts the 40th annual New Year's Day Marathon Reading.
21) Sign the petition urging IKEA to support LGBT people in Russia.
22) Lots of laughs at Buyer & Cellar, the story of an unemployed actor going to work at Barbra Streisand's personal basement mall.
23) It gets all Normal Rockwell, in a good way, at the NY Botanical Garden's annual Holiday Train exhibit.
24) The Flavor Bible: The Essential Guide to Culinary Creativity, Based on the Wisdom of America's Most Imaginative Chefs — one of the best ways to inspire anyone who loves to cook; gift accordingly.
25) Go Out and Love Someone (by Pogo)
Book lover on your list? Check out our Books Gift Guide
Gift Guide: Music
Shopping for the outdoorsy type? You want our
Great Outdoors Gift Guide
Kids on your list? Try our Gift Guide for Kids
Interesting gifts from interesting stores in our Shop Talk Guide
We're taking some time off, back in the saddle in January!
-The MUG Team