info 08.10.15

Housing Proceeding
Flickr Pool Picks

In spite of the Snidely Whiplash image, we're not talking trash today about all landlords—only landlords who are making your life difficult.

Here's what you can do when the landlord is unwilling to make repairs on hot water, heat in the winter, is failing to provide services (regular exterminator visits, for example), or there are building code violations:

Class A violations are the most minor violations. These must be corrected within 90 days.
Class B violations are things like leaks. They're considered hazardous and must be corrected within 30 days.
Class C violations – no heat or hot water, say – must be corrected within 24 hours.

You can start what's called an HP Case (aka HP Action aka HP Proceeding) – and you don't have to have an attorney to do it. For Manhattan residents, you go to 111 Centre Street [White/Franklin], get the forms from a clerk, fill them out, pay the $45 filing fee (cash, certified check, money order or bank check—no personal checks). You also fill out another form for an Inspection Request by the Dept. of Housing Preservation and Development. Be sure to put everything you want checked out on the form—if it's not on the form, the inspector can't consider it for inspection.

After that, you have Snidely served and the process goes through the system. Frequently, the landlord will settle with you in the courtroom (a "stipulation," which is basically an agreement between you and the landlord). For serious violations, a Consent Order to Correct is signed by the judge. Except for the most incorrigible landlords, that should do the trick.

More info here.

Municipal Building (from 1985)

recent entries

MUG Exits


The Department of Records

See all articles in INFO

Get a daily dose of MUG
right in your Inbox.