The other is the one of the actual lighthouse. The 40-foot structure at 178th Street and the Hudson was built in 1880 and served Sandy Hook, NJ before it was moved to its site in Ft. Washington Park in 1921. After the George Washington Bridge was built, complete with beacon, the LRL became something of a relic and was decommissioned in 1947.
When the City was going to demolish it for scrap, however, there was an outcry and it became clear that it was a beloved relic. It was thus turned over to the city's Parks Department, which promptly let the last lighthouse on the island fall apart.
Comptroller Harrison Golden got the city to commit money to restoring both the lighthouse and the park in 1982. In 2007, the Benjamin Moore company donated $45,000 to the landmark, which paid for repairs, Plexiglas panes in the lantern, and a new coat of red paint.
You can visit the exterior of the lighthouse any time, or visit the inside, too, when the Urban Park Rangers give a tour. Call 212.628.2345 for details.
Jason Polan started Every Person in New York in March of 2008. He plans on working on the project until it is finished. Look for more at Jason's site and his book Every Person in New York.